Quilt love



This is Sawtooth Star. Isn't she pretty? It's the first quilt my mom made for me, in 1992.

Quilting is my mom's all-time favourite craft. She's made quite a few, mostly for family. I myself have seven quilts from Mom, plus two quilted duvet covers and a stack of quilted pillows in various colours and patterns. No one will ever be cold in this house. We're well equipped for chilly weather (thanks, Mom!). They're all beautiful and unique and they showcase her excellent workmanship and eye for detail.



Double Wedding Ring is a traditional pattern, and my mom made this one for my husband and I as a wedding gift four years ago. I had a feeling she was going to make us a quilt, but it still made me cry when she gave it to us. She likes doing that--making people cry by giving them incredibly thoughtful and beautiful handmade gifts. Sadistic, isn't it?




Last year for Christmas, she surprised us with another quilt. This one is a version of Log Cabin. I love how the blocks are stitched together on a diagonal. It makes it look totally different from traditional Log Cabin patterns. Here's a closer look:



I think I'll post a pic and description of one quilt a week. Just to see how long it takes to go through all my Mom's quilts. She might have a year's worth!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful quilt. There's no need for me learn how to make them because Marj does such a great job. Can I put in an order for a wall hanging? c.c.c.