cute skirt + cute dress = cute new handbag



A while back I found a pattern to make a really cute handbag at this blog and I finally made it. I thought about making it out of silk, as the original pattern called for, but then I decided to recycle the fabric from a cute wool skirt instead. I loved this skirt when I bought it a few years ago. Too bad it doesn't fit over my post-baby hips any more. The blue linen dress is also one that I kept because I love it, even though it's too small. (Apparently I'm a wishful thinker...or maybe I'm just a packrat.) I really like the pale blue and dark brown together. And who doesn't like plaid in September?

The pattern was easy to follow. I made a few alterations to it, aside from substituting the wool fabric. I used lighter interfacing than the heavy interfacings given in the pattern instructions. I didn't want the bag to be too bulky. Even so, I ran into a few problems with too much bulk in the seams, which made it impossible to use my sewing machine to stitch down the flaps that hold the handles in place. I had to do that part by hand. Next time I would trim off the extra bulk in the seams to make the finished seams a little more smooth and stitch-able. But I'm still happy with the finished bag. Yay, a new bag for fall!



p.s. The wooden handles are also reclaimed. I got them from a thrifted bag that was incredibly ugly, but had great handles.

No comments: