Barbie goes camping

Barbie dolls were definitely my favourite toys for a number of years. I can't remember how old I was when I got my first one, or how old I was when I stopped playing with them, but I do remember that I had a lot of cool Barbie stuff and it was endlessly entertaining. Among the awesome accessories I owned: Barbie's horse (it was named Dallas - does anyone else remember that??); the motor home (which was bright yellow and huge - at least 2 or 3 feet long); a hot tub that could be filled with water and produced bubbles; a pink Jeep that came with camping gear; and of course, a dozen different Barbie dolls. All of whom ended up with their hair cut off. I always regretted those haircuts later. (Which weirdly foreshadowed the relationship I now have my own hair - cut it short, let it grow, cut it shorter, let it grow...)

My mom made a lot of Barbie clothes for my dolls, including a complete wedding ensemble with a veil and a bouquet that had a tiny elastic strap to hook over Barbie's wrist. Mom, how did you have the patience or time to make that stuff? I also remember hand-sewn quilts and pillows for Barbie's canopy bed (pink, natch), and other assorted furnishings for the Barbie condo. But the best thing she ever made for Barbie was undoubtedly the tent.

Mine was the perfect shade of Barbie pink with two sleeping bags, fully lined with flannel and quilted to make them look like the real thing. There were even little pillows stitched into the sleeping bags. As if Barbie would sleep in a tent without a pillow - seriously, now.
No detail was overlooked. The tent featured a rear window with a mesh panel to keep out mosquitoes, and flaps on the window and front opening that could be rolled up and secured with a button, or left down when Barbie wanted a little privacy.
A wooden dowel propped up the tent when in use and when it was removed, the whole tent folded down, nice and flat. It made it easy to shove under the bed when it wasn't being used.
Look - the sleeping bags, folded up and tucked a certain way, can be converted to chairs! Awesome!

Even my younger brother had a tent. His was dark brown with plaid-flannel lining in the sleeping bags. Very masculine. His was inhabited by assorted action figures including G.I. Joe, a Spiderman doll, and a Wayne Gretzky doll (who sometimes visited Barbie for a "sleepover"). (Sorry, Kev, you may not have been aware of Barbie's relationship with Wayne.)
Recently my mom busted out the Barbie tent pattern again. However, the fabric she uses is a bit tricky to find these days. It's a stretchy type of polyester that used to come in a rainbow of colours and it was perfect for the tents. I suspect it was also popular for women's pants with elastic waistbands...but let's not think too hard about that.

39 comments:

Unknown said...

Can u post the pattern???????

Unknown said...

Can u post the pattern???????

Anonymous said...

Hi Marjorie & Heather, I love the barbie tent you made!! We recently visited a market in Eumundi Australia & my two kids saw a very similar tent to the one that's in your blog. They begged me to buy them the tents, but they were too expensive for me, so I've bought the fabric, dowel etc & want to give it a go making them! I'm finding it really difficult to locate a pattern - any chance you girls could point me in the right direction please. Happy sewing!

briann neeley said...

Could you email me the pattern? Thsnks!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm wondering where to find this pattern?
Thanks
Kim

Anonymous said...

Just came across this... so adorable! Where can we get the pattern too?
thanks!

Unknown said...

These are adorable! Can you point me in the direction of a pattern? Would love to make one for my daughter.
Thanks!

Unknown said...

is it possible to get the pattern for the barbie tent...thanks

Anonymous said...

Would love the pattern as well :) so cute!!

Jennifer said...

Totally adorable! I would love to make one for my children if you are sharing the pattern or can tell me where you found it!

Anonymous said...

Please post the pattern for this! My daughter wants a barbie tent for Christmas and I don't know where to begin!

Laura said...

I would also really love the pattern, where can I find it?

Anonymous said...

Your tents are glorious and have inspired me to try my own design. Well done :-) I do not demand you give me your pattern for free... makes a change huh?

Pinterest has plenty of free doll tent patterns for those seeking something for nothing.

Anonymous said...

Tes tentes sont magnifique j'aime beaucoup
Bravo

Unknown said...

I too would love to know where I could buy the pattern, is it an individual pattern with a number or from a book or magazine? Any help you could do would be great thanks, your Mom did a farout job with them. Chere @ cawny1018@yahoo.com

Sandy Buchart said...

I too would like the pattern. It will be great for barbie or g.i.joe. you can reach me at sandybuchart@gmail.com, thanks.

Anonymous said...

I would love this pattern. I used to make them. But I Jan
Be misplaced my pattern.
Thank you l

Carolyn said...

I, too used to make these for my kids, and nieces, then grandchildren and now great grandchildren. Like the lady above I have lost the pattern, have bits and pieces, but not the whole thing. Where can I get the pattern?

Carolyn said...

I would like to find this pattern or directions as to where I can find it. email- drinkg-c@pris.ca

Anonymous said...

Do you still make these tents or sell the pattern to make the tent. I am very interest in either way to be able to get it. I look forward to hearing back from you. My granddaughters loves her Barbie and Ken, and she has a birthday coming up and a couple of months.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Lois Ross
(306)949-5533
6515 Hird Crescent
Regina, Saskatchewan
S4X 4H2

Sarahimbody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarahimbody said...

Can you email the pattern please thanks
fwsara@hotmail.com
Sarah Imbody
404 S Water Street
Monroeville Indiana. 46773

Unknown said...

Hi please email me the cute Barbie tent pattern at jane.smit3@gmail.com so much appreciated

Unknown said...

I would love the pattern for my daughter. Can you email me ?
Heatherlpopovich@gmail.com
Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Could I please have the pattern as well, wish to make for my three grandaughters. Have searched everywhere trying to find a pattern. I know you can buy ready made but I wish to make them for my girls.
noremcdo@hotmail.com
Thanks

Anonymous said...

How do we get the pattern? Can you email to terrigcrowley@yahoo.com

Gloria Joy said...

I would to have the pattern, if you are willing to share. It would be a great tool to help special needs students in preparing for their first campouts Gloria (5minutelessons.org)

Anonymous said...

Where could I find a copy of this pattern. I am willing to purchase
My email address is manstey@shaw.ca

Lea said...

Where is the pattern for thhis this tent available I would love to make one

Anonymous said...

How can I get this pattern?

Anonymous said...

Hi, pse email me the tent pattern to rose.gugger@icloud.com and thank you.

Unknown said...

are you selling the pattern for the barbie tent?

sandybuchart@gmail.com said...

Looks like a lot of people are asking for the barbie tent pattern ☺️ I was one!
I'm still waiting for an answer please. This would be a great way to spend my senor years !

Carol said...

Are you still sharing your pattern? I have lost mine. Sewed so many when my daughter was young and now it is time for granddaughters. Please and thank you. Let me know the cost please.
pinkbutterfly73@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

How can I get this pattern? If possible can you email the pattern to me. ccgarne@gmail.com?

CC said...

Hi Marjorie, I would love to make this tent for my granddaughters. Are you able to send me the pattern please.

CC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hello and Happy 2024, wondering if you are selling the pattern to this tent, would love to make one for my Great Niece. You can email me dogmum4@gmail.com and let me know. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I have a tent pattern but struggling with roof-I've modified it and used heaps of different materials but can't get it to sit firmly. I would love a link to the pattern if it is available.